Saturday, August 19, 2006

Why is it that we can’t see ourselves as others see us?

I’m in one of those moods this weekend (I’ll blame it on the antibiotics)… feelin’ a bit philosophical.

Why is it that we can’t see ourselves as others see us?

Yesterday in www.runningmania.com, a group of us decided to sent our inner critic/inner child off to camp for the day. It truly was a great & very cleansing exercise once the day was said and done. Of course, the females of the group had much more critical and devious inner critics, while the guys didn’t have the issues that we did. Of course the common thread for the women consisted of the typical stuff: weight, body type, weakness, inability to succeed… you get the idea.

Towards the end of the day, “K” suggested that we each write down something that we love about ourselves… This was hard, for me anyhow. This is what I eventually came up with:

So, what do I love about myself... the person that I have become in the past few years. I think that it has something to do with finally becoming an "adult". I'm not as afraid to stand up for myself as I used to be & I don't put up with bull-crap anymore. My determination & sense of humor also come to mind....

Nothing too mind blowing, but I managed. Shortly after this, we were challenged to write what we appreciated about each other… now keep in mind that while I have actually met many of the group participating in this little exorcism, I have also never met a large number of the “nation”. I was absolutely speechless at what people thought of me:

Tracy- what I appreciate about you is you share your journey
Tracy...your tenacity...that is simply the word that comes to mind...
Tracy, what I like about you is your sensitivity and the fact that you're not ashamed of it. I also appreciate your unconditional support
Tracy: What I love about you is you seem to have no limits. You just keep trying new things and add them to that being who is the ever-evolving Tracy

These things literally brought me to tears, as they are the last words that I would ever consider using to describe myself…It’s so funny that we never quite see each other as the world sees us….

Why must it be that way?

Something to think about.....

4 comments:

Kelodie said...

Here's a new way to look at yourself, Tracy!!! Use our eyes, instead of yours, and you'll be much happier! :-)

Heather Moore said...

I was really amazed that some many people on RM had such issues. I thought I was the only one! These people are so confident. They run, they do marathons, they do triathalons, they swim, they bike. Never, ever would I have suspected that they often feel the same way I do. I can barely get out the door as I always talk myself out of it. Little did I know that these people who I admire often have trouble too!

I didn't participate in the thread as I was so busy at work but it was a great learning experience for me. I think I'm going to bookmark it.

Anonymous said...

Tracy... I have known you your whole life. I'm surprised to hear that you did not see these qualities in yourself. I need to be a better friend and let you kow how special you really are... especially to me.

MINI-Runner said...

You guys are all amazing & my life is so much better because of you...

Leslie you are a good friend... I've just never really shared this stuff with anyone, so how on earth could you know... Love you!