Thursday, March 29, 2007

I RAN 30 FREAKING KM!

(that's 18.641 miles for the south of the border types!)

It still has not sunk in, and I'm still grinning ear to ear!

I ran the "oldest road race in North America" a week ago Sunday. Older than Boston (and the closest I'll ever be to it unless I go down to watch one day) Around the Bay in Hamilton/Burlington. It starts in downtown Hamilton, and literally goes around the bay through Burlington & back to Hamilton to a really interesting finish line in Copp's Collesium (sort of like an IronMan finish actually!)

I did take a few things away from Sunday, that I'll remember:

  • 30 kilometers is a long way...
  • I didn't take it as seriously as I should have...
  • I slacked off on specific hill training, not the best thing for this race...
  • WHO ON EARTH puts hills (and nasty ones) at KM 22-27 of a 30K route!
  • I absolutely LOVED all of it, even with the hard lessons...

Will I be back next year...

WITH A VENGANCE!

Big thanks to one of the best pacers in the world.... while we didn't get to run the whole thing together - those 11K at the beginning gave me the ability to get to the end... You know who you are... ;)

1 comment:

Michal The Joggler Kapral said...

Awesome! It's a good feeling isn't it?